Saturday, January 9, 2010

What happens when your mosquito net keeps things IN rather than OUT!!

I think all Peace Corps Volunteers wait for some pivital moment, a funny story, an embaressing moment, a confusion between cultures, something to take home with us and recite to friends and family to bring to life the adventures of living in a foreign country for two years. Well, the other night that story unfolded for me.

I was warned that I had a rat problem in my house and was a bit nervous since I hadnt been quite as lucky as others and experienced them during training, so this would be my first encounter with them, and Id be all alone! My interactions with the rats began slowly and non offensively. First, the rat poop appeared, signaling their arrival. Then they began appearing as I was drifting off to sleep, little glowing eyes in the corners of my bedroom. One night, one decided to try and join me as a dinner guest and came scampering through my kitchen. When I had another Volunteer stay over we woke up the next day to find her tooth brush missing, I found it a few days later on the floor behind a crate in my room, which is where the rats must have decided to leave it. Well, as of a few nights ago, the rats and I have reached a whole new level of intimacy....
A mosquito net is not only great for preventing malaria, Ive always viewed it as a total bug control device. I rely on it to protect me from any and all mosquitoes, cockroaches, spiders, rats, etc. Every night I make sure it is fully tucked in under my mattress and no corner is left untucked or loose. The one fear Ive had since arriving at my house is that a rat may get under the net and on my bed. I have two mattresses stacked on top of each other and the bottom one is a bit bigger than the top, so there is sort of a little shelf like area that sticks out between the two. Ive always worried that if a rat got under my net and on to the bed, that is where it would hide. During the day I usually make my bed but leave the mosquito net on one side untucked where I get in and out. Foolish, foolish me!
The other night I went around and made sure the net was tucked in well in all the spots other than where I enter, centered the top mattress a bit better, turned my fan on and positioned it just right, turned out my light, and used my cell phone as a flashlight to hop in to bed and under my net where I could be protected from the rats that I feel are sure to appear as soon as the lights are out. Once under the net, I tucked in the open end where I entered and as I went to the other side just to double check and tuck in even better, I put my hand down on a RAT that was resting right on that little shelf part I had feared so much! At this point I had secured the net so well under the mattress that even my flailing arms ripping at the net in an urgent attempt to get out and as far from whatever hairy, moving creature I had just touched, wasnt enough to set me free. After the first panicked attempt, I calmed myself slightly and ripped the net up from under the mattress. I jumped out of bed and turned on the light to see a rat running about my bed trapped under the net. As my heart was racing and sweat dripping from my moment of panick, I couldnt help but laugh out loud to myself standing there in my room with a rat in my bed. Eventually the rat found its way out and ran as fast as his little legs could carry himself out of my room. That night and last night, and Im sure every night from now on, Ive done about 7 or 8 checks around every inch and corner of the bed before turning out the lights and getting in to make sure it is rat free!
At least now I feel after that moment of intimacy I am fearless of the creatures. I always thought it was funny when Mozambicans bring up rats, they are always sure to note that they cant kill you! My host family would say ''Oh, we dont have rats in our house, but you know, they cant kill you.'' or ''oh, the province youre going to has a real rat problem, but dont worry, they cant kill you.'' I never found much comfort in that, but now I suppose I am greatful for at least that!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I just COSed from Namibia and am traveling through Mozambique in a couple weeks with another RPCV. We would really like to visit some PCV sites so if you or another current volunteer can host us that would be amazing! Please email me at heather.e.reese@gmail.com if you can help us out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete