Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Closing Remarks from Year ONE in Mozambique

In case anyone has been wondering, I am still very much alive and still in Mozambique! I realize after multiple months of silence you all deserve a much longer and more informative update on what I’ve been up to but this will have to suffice for now.
After a very busy three weeks in the States I’ve gotten back into the groove of things here, it’s hard to slow back down and get on track, trying to remember where I left off. The first month or two back was a bit difficult, missing friends all over again and also dealing with some site issues-I was hoping to talk with my PC supervisor here in the hopes of switching sites to my district capital, Namacurra, the town is a bit bigger than where I’m living now and there are a couple different groups that have asked for my support in working with them. The town is relatively close by but the dirt road you must travel down is so horrible and transportation so unreliable that it can be a full day process just to get there, spend a an hour or two and return, making it impossible for me to work with these groups regularly if I’m not living there. It doesn’t seem as though the move will be happening however, so I’ve tried to get a few project lined back up here in Macuse. This month marks one year in Africa and it seems so surreal how fast the time has gone, I’ve had to look back at old messages and through my weekly planner just to remember all I’ve been through over the past year.
As much as I wish I could work with the groups of children in Namacurra that have asked for my help, I’m trying to work something out so that I will still be able to at least meet with them once a month and get things going with my student groups here as well. This Friday is Global Hand Washing Day and I’m working with a few students at the primary school, teaching them a demonstration on the importance of proper hand washing, they will then do the demonstration for their whole school, we’re also working on a hand washing song…but I’ve already told them I will not be doing any singing! That part is up to them, aka-the more talented individuals! Also this week, on Thursday, I am having a small meeting/discussion at the health post for anyone that would like to attend. I’m going to do a presentation on HIV/AIDS basics and also give information on Anti-retroviral medication and how they work since often times the health post is so under-staffed that patients aren’t able to ask questions and gain a true understanding of the medication because the health workers are seeing and treating so many people per day.
Many of the challenges I’ve faced working in Macuse are related to issues I’ve had with the organization I’m working with here. I’ve felt a bit lost in what their expectations are of me as well as disconnected from the organization in general since their main office is in Quelimane, quite far from where I’m working. I also have not had a counterpart to work beside for many months now which has made it difficult to set up and begin new projects. I’ve been told that a few new local Mozambicans have been hired to work with us on the community outreach aspect of our work. Someone here in Macuse has been hired as well as someone in Namacurra, so I’m hoping to meet with them soon and get some feedback and help with projects I’ve created but had difficulties starting. I’m excited to hopefully set up more of a routine again and start some new activities. I’ve been here a year already and it’s still difficult to remember that things tend to move at a much slower pace in Africa, I am constantly being reminded of this and still trying to acclimate myself to this cultural norm.
Next week I’m going down to Maputo province to help train the new group of 70 Volunteers. I’m excited to meet the new group and perhaps this experience will help me realize how far I’ve come in the past year. I don’t think the majority of Volunteers give themselves enough credit just for the accomplishment of language learning and cultural understanding-you seem to just forget how much of a feat that is in and of itself because it becomes part of your everyday life here. It will be nice to be on the other side of this experience, finally the all-knowing, wise, and accomplished veterans…or something like that…

No comments:

Post a Comment